Get the Soil Health Test
In cooperation with the program researched since 2005 by USDA ARS, we are offering the Soil Health Test, a new set of integrated tests that stress agricultural soil vitality and productivity. Components of the test date back to the 1980′s when Brinton returned from training in Europe and Woods End initiated aggregate stability and 7-day CO2-Respiration for N-mineralization (the German standard at the time). For a limited time we included soil enzymes (dehydrogenase and urease) but later discontinued these tests as CO2 respiration gave excellent overall correlation to system biological parameters (based on results of long-term trials). We’ve innovated these methods to be more cost-effective in the lab setting. The goal is to report physical, chemical and biological parameters.
The new soil health protocol gives an overview of biological activity of the soil system and integrates this into estimating the supply of available and estimation of potentially available nutrients. A new soil extract is being used, but is separate from the biological report. The new extract makes it more realistic to test soils across regions since it adjusts to intrinsic factors (weakly buffered), and is more similar to the European CAL extract that is designed to mimic low ionic strength soil systems. The N-P-K report takes into account soluble nutrients and those expected to become available due to the healthy functioning of the soil system. The report is designed to save costs on nutrient fertilization, and to provide suggestions to improving soil health.
The Soil Health Toolbox:
- Accounts for soil microbial biomass, with a view that this is very nutrient-relevant;
- Evaluates N + P mineralization potential, the core of the nutrient supply mechanism for plants
- Represents nutrients likely to be “plant relevant” from lighter-weight extractants
- Evaluates quality of the pool of soil organic carbon.this page updated March 3 2014
Please provide the following:
- The soil sample (wet or dry) with the date of the sample and the intended crops. If the location is different than the zipcode on the order, please provide specific GPS or sample zipcode information which we use to map to your climate zone.
Choose from The Regular or Premium Test:
- The Regular Test is as provided in the normal soil health toolbox. Includes Solvita CO2 Burst. $55
- The Premium Test includes additional: Soil Organic Matter %, pH, Magnesium, Sodium, Estimated CEC, Aggregate Stability. $75
- What you get is a comprehensive report and a Soil Health Score. The standardized Score uses an open source formula from USDA and should be the same from other labs offering the Soil Health Tool. The nutrient score shows the expected total available supply and it is tied to common crop categories.
- Interpretation Guide: Each customer receives a full interpretation guideline with the report.
Sample Information Form> Please attach the following Sample-information with each order.
**Mail to our PO BOX if sending via USPS, or our street address if sending via UPS or FEDEX**
THE OVERALL REPORT: THE SOIL HEALTH SCORE: